Friday, June 12, 2009

Dear Hallmark

Yesterday I went to the store to buy some graduation cards. While there, I realized that my stepson's birthday was only 2 days away. So I was on a quest to find a card for Eddy. I knew it wouldn't be easy to find just the right card but it was damn near impossible.

There were a lot of things to consider. I wanted to find a card that his Dad would have most likely picked out for him. But I didn't want to put a damper on his birthday by sending him a card for a "son". Would he appreciate that or would it upset him? I didn't see any cards labeled "stepson" either. So I moved on to the general section. "For someone special" sounded about right. It should be easy to find at least one there as there were several to choose from. Yeah, several pink ones, flowery ones, just plain old girly ones. I did finally find one that seemed acceptable. (Maybe I should have just browsed the "belated" section...because it will never get to Phoenix by tomorrow!)

Task accomplished, right? Not quite.

Is it morbid that I felt the need to buy an Anniversary and Father's Day card for Chuck? I mean, I bought one for his birthday and Valentine's Day. He would say it's a waste of money. Cards aren't cheap these days. (And the 99 cent cards just won't do.) It's always been easy to pick out cards for him. We both liked the simple ones that got right to the point. Of course, I usually filled up the rest of the space inside...and sometimes even on to the back...with a long note to him.

It's not easy anymore. Not because it makes me sad. Not because it reminds me of special occasions in the past. But because they all talk about our future together. Or about how we will always be there for each other. Or about how far we've come and what we've got to look forward to. Hallmark doesn't make cards for the deceased. They make cards for "missing you". They make get well cards and sympathy cards and "I'm sorry" cards. Maybe it IS too morbid. At least for Hallmark. Or am I just the only one who places laminated greeting cards at a gravesite?

Maybe I should write a letter to the card companies. I've invested a lot of money in their products over the years. (I have a box full of cards that me and Chuck have exchanged in the last 20 years.) I'm not really being serious about writing a letter. They would think I'm nuts, I'm sure.

Maybe I'll just invest in some card paper and start printing my own. That would be the simple solution, wouldn't it?

Oh, and just to let you know, I did finally find all of the cards I needed after spending 45 minutes in the card aisle! Thank you, Hallmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment