Friday, September 25, 2009

A Walk in the Park

I've had a few down days this week. Yesterday morning I got to the point where I just needed to get out of the house and do something different. I needed to break out of the routine of just sitting here bummed out and not getting anything accomplished.

So I decided to go to the park and take a walk.

No big deal. Just a simple walk. I didn't think it would change my mood much but I was willing to give it a try. So I set off with just my thoughts and my music playing in my earphones. (Music is one thing I don't think I would want to live without...it's that important to me!)

To be surrounded by nothing but nature can be breathtaking. Sometimes I just stopped and looked up. Way up.

Standing in the midst of those tall trees reminded me what a big world this is...and how small we all really are!

I had a nice walk. A nice 3-mile walk. I felt my heart pumping the blood through my body. I felt the fresh air going deep into my lungs. I felt alive. I felt good.

As I neared the end of my walk, I came upon the small shelter house I had sat in the very first time I ever visited this particular park. It was about 20 summers ago. At that point in time, Chuck and I were nurturing our brand new relationship. He couldn't wait to introduce me to this park...he had been there many times before.

So I stood there and looked at that little building for a couple of minutes and reminisced as I listened to this song:




I Believe ~ Diamond Rio

Every now and then soft as breath upon my skin
I feel you come back again
And its like you haven't been gone a moment from my side

Like the tears were never cried

Like the hands of time are holding you and me

And with all my heart I'm sure we're closer than we ever were
I don't have to hear or see, I've got all the proof I need

There are more than angels watching over me

I believe, I believe


That when you die your life goes on
It doesn't end here when you're gone
Every soul is filled with light

It never ends and if I'm right

Our love can even reach across eternity

I believe, I believe


Forever, you're a part of me

Forever, in the heart of me

And I'll hold you even longer if I can

The people who don't see the most

Say that I believe in ghosts

And if that makes me crazy, then I am

cause I believe

There are more than angels watching over me

I believe, I believe


I got a little sad. A little teary-eyed. And then I saw something out of the corner of my eye.






















2 small deer.

And that made me smile.

That gave me some peace.

I was then able to turn back around and look at that small building and remember my very first trip to that park. And I was able to smile about it instead of feeling sad. I was able to continue walking past that building with my head high and my shoulders straight. With a purpose in my step, a slight smile on my face, and gratitude and love in my heart.

I've read about this concept in many grief books and I could never quite understand what they meant when they said you know you are beginning to heal when memories make you smile instead of cry.

I get it now.

It doesn't mean that memories will never again make me sad...

But it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment