Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Rejuvenated

After having a rough week emotionally for no particular reason, I got a dose of just the right medicine today.

I have a list of things that need to be done but I let it all go today. That "to-do" list is never-ending, it seems. As soon as I cross off one item, I usually think of three more things to add. I'm learning that sometimes we need to just take a time out and take a day off from our responsibilities. That's exactly what I did today.

A long time friend of ours picked me up and we took a motorcycle ride out to the park. It was where I wanted to go. It was a place that Chuck and I used to go to all the time before we had kids. The first few minutes were a little rough. All of the memories came flooding back. But there is no way I could feel sad surrounded by the glories of nature. I remembered the first time he took me there. I remember being in awe of my surroundings, standing in the middle of literally thousands of extremely tall trees that seem to reach half way to the clouds.

Instead of the memories making me sad today, they brought me a little bit of peace. Every now and then I caught myself desperately longing to go back to that time in my life. But for the most part, I felt happy that I have those memories to hold on to for the rest of my life. And I cherish them. I hold on to those times so tightly and I will never let them go. He was taken away from me but nothing will ever be able to take away the memories I have locked within my heart.

Yes, today was a good day.

The ride out there was peaceful. The weather was beautiful. The wind blowing through my hair. The sun shining on my face. Just sitting there. Sometimes talking, sometimes just silence and peace. And on the ride home, my heart felt content. I felt young. My soul felt refreshed and renewed. I was able to look at the world with a different set of eyes and with a lighter heart.

I felt alive.

Thank you, Friend. This day did more for me than anyone could ever realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment