Friday, July 3, 2009

It really is the little things... (aka...Wow, a blog entry about toilets!)

In my previous entry, I wrote about my bathroom remodeling project. The one snag I ran into was holding me up from doing anything else. It was a problem with the flange for the toilet...the one that bolts to the floor. I always left that job up to Chuck or my Dad to handle. I can sum up my feelings about that in one word...YUK! It's a messy job no matter how careful you are or how you choose to go about it.

I talked to my Dad about the problem the other night and he said he would help me fix it some time next week. I really didn't want to ask him for help. I honestly appreciate his knowledge and his willingness to help. But I wanted to be able to finish this project and know that I did it on my own. I wanted to prove that I can do what I already know...and that I can learn enough to also do what I don't know.

With a little advice from the mom-and-pop plumbing store down the street, some common sense thinking, and a lot of muscle...I FIXED IT!!! Tonight I have a toilet that 1) works, 2) sits flush down on the floor, 3) doesn't tip if you lean a little bit, and 4) doesn't leak.

It's so easy to take something as simple as a toilet for granted. Even if it were a simple job like replacing the bolts and wax ring, I might still feel that way. But no. This required about 45 minutes with a Sawzall, a wrecking bar and a drill. (I guarantee I will be sore tomorrow!)

The bottom line is that I did it and I am proud of myself over a stupid toilet! But I can't forget the underlying fact that now I have much more confidence moving into the rest of the project. I wonder what I can learn (or what kind of problems I will run into) when I begin to re-route the plumbing for the sink?

Earlier today, I had a whole different idea about what I wanted to write about here. Maybe I still will later on tonight or on a different day. But tonight I am bursting with pride over a toilet! It really is about more than the toilet though. It was a learning experience. Sure, I learned how to do yet another home repair. But I also learned that I am capable. I am independent. I have the capacity to learn. I can trust myself to attempt these things.

I'm starting to think that I can do anything I set my mind to. And it's a pretty amazing feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment